IVF – In Vitro Fertilization
IVF literally means ‘fertilization outside the body,’ more simply explained as ‘test tube baby’. In the IVF process, eggs are removed from the ovaries of the female and at the same time sperms are collected from the male partner. The eggs and sperms are made to fertilize in the laboratory and the fertilized egg (embryo) is then implanted in the woman’s womb to make her conceive.
Steps involved in IVF/ICSI:
- Comprehensive evaluation of both partners
- We formulate the treatment strategy, explain the procedure, prognosis, costs, risks, benefits and offer counseling support.
- If IVF treatment in Chandigarh is recommended, we carry out the following sequence: hormonal injections for controlled stimulation.
- Ultrasound monitoring to check the follicular growth.
- The eggs are collected under anesthesia (one day at the clinic) and the husband’s sperm is collected.
- Fertilization. In a state-of-the-art, dust-free lab, the man’s sperm is injected into the egg by skilled embryologists.
- The best embryos are selected and transferred on the 2nd, 3rd or 5th day after egg were collected.
- 15 days later, a pregnancy test is done.
NOTE: Other good quality embryos can be frozen on request for future cycles if necessary. This prevents the need to undergo step 1 to 6 again.
IVF technique is now mainly used in the following cases:
- Females with one or both fallopian tubes blocked
- Borderline male sperm count
- Unexplained infertility cases
- Couples who have failed the traditional treatments like timed intercourse, follicular monitoring, IUI etc.
- Couples who require donor egg IVF
Now a day’s age and attaining menopause are not a constraint to experience motherhood. IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) has proved to be a boon to all those couples who’ve only dreamt of becoming parents but could never see their dream coming true due to insurmountable reasons.